Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Mock Interview

This week I had my mock interview for a position with the Red Bull Corporation as a Field Research Marketing Manager.

1. Were you nervous? How did you deal with this?
I was not really nervous going into the interview. I feel I took the proper steps before hand to alleviate any pre-interview jitters I could of had. I reviewed the job description multiple times, looking to really see what sort of values and characteristics the company valued- not only in their employees, but their product as well. Typing out the cover letter beforehand also helped me to identify some of my strengths that related to the job description, so I knew I could always use this to my advantage during the interview. Finally, I took a few deep breaths and reminded myself that confidence is always key.

2. Did you get any questions that threw you? How did you handle those questions?
One question that threw me was the question about what my biggest accomplishment was. I knew I could not use an example from high school, and honestly outside of sport competitions, I had no big accomplishments. So, instead I tried to think of something I had recently done that would relate to the type of job position I was applying for. I ended up talking about an event I had set up over the summer, and put as much enthusiasm behind this as I could. I knew my employer did not know whether or not this really was my greatest accomplishment, but I felt my confidence and relating it to the job was pretty convincing.

3. If you could do the interview again, what would you do differently?
I would not do much over, because I was proud of the way I handled myself. If anything, I would have spoken slower so that I could have gotten my thoughts out in a smoother, more fluid way. I spoke a little choppy and I'm not sure if I made sense the whole time. I also would have made sure I had certain accomplishments I was proud of and some big obsticales I had overcome in mind, just to be prepared in case of those types of questions.

4. What did you learn from this experience?
This experience gave me confidence in myself to handle pressure situations. I learned that even though I may not have had all the qualifications the employer was looking for, if I can showcase the skills I do have in a positive manner and relate them to the specific job, I will be okay!

No comments: