Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Miscommunication

Over the summer I worked at a summer camp for elementary-aged kids. We would take the children on field trips to a local waterpark, but not every staff member had to go every time. One time at a staff meeting, they were reading staff names for the next trip, and I heard "Lauren" get read off. (I was not really paying attention). The next day I showed up to work suited up and ready to go, when I realized there was another staff member named Lauren. We were both ready to go on the field trip, but obviously only one of us was needed. We informed our supervisor of what had happened, and I volunteered not to go on the trip. This worked out well for both of us.
Thankfully the miscommunication was not a big deal, but it certainly was something that could have easily been avoided. First off, I should have been paying full attention at the meeting. Even if I get bored I need to remember that meetings are held for a reason and there is always valuable information shared during them. Also, when I only heard my first name read, I should have clarified with my supervisor which Lauren she meant. Asking questions is always better than just assuming things, because it could lead to costly mistakes.

No comments: