Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Cover Letter Advice

After reviewing this website, I found a few points to be helpful, but was disappointed in the lack of indepth explanations about a cover letter structure. Each article was very short and gave more of an outline of the cover letter than anything else. I guess the most useful advice I read was that "customers do not buy features, they buy benefits. So make sure you drive home your benefit to the customer." I had not really thought of this as being a successful selling angle, but the more I read over it I realized that as a customer myself, thats exactly what I want from a product- great benefits.
I agree with most of the advice given, especially about making sure the letter is specific and personal. The cover letter is supposed to be about the company and help employers understand what they are all about. However, there was one point I definately did not agree with. One suggestion was to add personal testimony to the letter. I think this makes the letter look unprofessional, and comes across as trying to fill space. Covers letter should be specific and concise.
Something that did stick with me, and I will take with me into the mock interview, is realizing that the cover letter is not always read first. I thought it was always read first, hence the name "cover". This means that I will need to make sure my resume itself is just as impressive so that it will stick in my interviewers mind.

No comments: