Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Final Blog- Class of 2009

Hey Spring 2009 business writing class! This is a great class you are taking, but get prepared to do some work! We did many different activities in this class, including creating resumes, having mock interviews and creating a client project. I would have to say that the client project is the most work, but definately worth the work. This year my group worked with the Helping Hands organization redesigning their brochure. In order to successfully complete the project, we had to learn to communicate well not only within our own group assigning tasks, but with our client. We had to be professional in our writing, and make sure our objectives were coming across clearly so she could understand what it was we were doing. My suggestion to you is to come up with an idea early and keep the client constantly updated, so that they will have the opportunity to make comments and changes if there is something they do not agree with.
As far as writing materials geared toward helping us succeed in the future, I suggest you pay close attention in class and to the PowerPoints. Angela goes over everything you need to know, and gives great examples to model your document after. We created resumes; something that was very beneficial to me when applying for internships. I also learned some grammar rules that I was not aware of before- study those! This knowledge can only improve your professionalism in the working world.
For each of our porfolios we had to use some technology. I struggled with this at first, because I had never used the web design program, SeaMonkey. However, I quickly learned that if I asked others in my class for help, my problems were solved. Others have training that you might not have, so don't be afraid to ask for help! The class is small and everyone talks in it so try to feel comfortable with your class- this will not only help you in your writing, but the more you participate in discussions, the better your grade becomes!
Overall I really enjoyed this class and I hope you do too! Angela is a great teacher and my biggest suggestions for success in this class is to a) do your work on time and b) don't be afraid to ask Angela for help...she teaches the class, so she obviously knows how to help!

No comments: